Asked: Nov. 19, 2019 by: citypassguide
Q: How can I avoid food allergies when eating out in Ho Chi Minh City?
First of all, what are you allergic to? Knowing the food that triggers your allergies will help you so much because it will be easier to avoid them. If you are an expat or a traveler who is about ready to explore the local dishes of Saigon or anywhere in Vietnam, a quick research will help you determine what food may or may not trigger your allergies. As someone who has this problem, it should be automatic for you to have your own list and for you to do due diligence.
Typical foods that may provoke an allergic reaction include seafood - especially shellfish, peanuts and tree nuts, corn and corn products, soy and soy products, fruits, eggs and wheat, preservatives and maybe even chicken. Every individual has a different trigger so we cannot really generalize what will trigger your allergies. Some people may also experience intolerance – not necessarily an allergic response – to fresh chilies, hot sauces, milk and cheeses, and black bean sauces.
Many mid- and upper-range restaurants are more than happy to tell you which ingredients go into their dishes. Allergy-inducing condiments such as peanuts or soy sauce may or may not be segregated from the mains. The best way to go about it is that when in doubt, simply ask. If condiments are already tabled and you are allergic to them, ask to have them removed from the table or sit somewhere else.
- 0 What are some of the local dining customs in Vietnam?
- 0 What should I know about Vietnamese food or diet?
- 0 What are locally-made snacks in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 Where can I get clean drinking water in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 Do restaurants add MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) to their food in Ho chi Minh City?
- 0 What cafes are a good choice in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 How do I make clean ice cubes in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What is the food hygiene standards like in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What is chè?
- 0 What is the difference between phở of the South and phở of the North in Vietnam?
- 0 What is phở?
- 0 What can I expect from Vietnamese food?
- 0 What are some popular Vietnamese street food?
- 0 What is gỏi cuốn?
- 0 What phở restaurants are in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What is cơm tấm and where can I get it?
- 0 What is bún bò Huế?
- 0 What is hủ tiếu?
- 0 What bánh bao shops are in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What is bánh xèo?
- 0 What is bia hơi?
- 0 What is bánh mì?
- 0 What cháo restaurants do we recommend?
- 0 What are the most famous vegetarian dishes are there in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What international restaurants are there in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What ice cream parlours are there in Ho chi Minh City?
- 0 What are some great bars in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What time do bars close in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What chocolate and sweet shops are there in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What gourmet shops, grocery stores and butchers are there in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What bakeries are there in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What supermarkets and hypermarkets are there in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What wine and spirits shops are there in Ho Chi Minh City?