Asked: Oct. 14, 2019 by: citypassguide
Q: What furniture can I expect in a Vietnamese rented home?
Asian furniture aren't necessarily the same as the ones found in the western world. For expats, this might come as a surprise or as a cultural shock. Furnishings in Saigon can vary from cheap rattan to modern dark wood furnishings. However, most properties will not have the standard fixtures and furnishings that you would expect to find in Western countries.
In general, carpet is rare due to its heat-retention properties along with high maintenance costs, so tile is the most popular flooring material unless you're renting a condo or high end apartment. Most furnished properties will have a couch, coffee table and a cable-connected LCD TV.
Bathrooms run the gamut from high-end properties with glass-enclosed showers and separate bathtubs. Kitchens are generally furnished like Western kitchens, with a few notable exceptions. Ovens are usually only available in high-end apartments, so if you want to bake, head to one of the many homeware stores (see the Shopping chapter) and pick up a toaster oven. Check whether the exhaust hood above the stove has a vent that leads outside. If not, you could end up with a smoky room and a filter that needs regular grease cleaning.
For information on living in Saigon go to Saigon: Not Yet a Tourism Hub
- 0 What should I know about real estate agents in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What should I consider before sharing a flat in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What should I consider when choosing a villa or an apartment in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 How can I find rentals in Ho Chi Minh city by myself?
- 0 How can I negotiate a better price for my rental in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What are tips when signing a contract for a first time renter in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What is a serviced apartment in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What do you need to know about making home improvements in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What real estate agents are in Ho Chi Minh City?