Asked: Sept. 19, 2019 by: citypassguide
Q: What should I consider when shipping goods in Ho Chi Minh City?
Moving to a different country is not always as straightforward as you think. Sometimes, you have to consider logistics and other people prefer to just send their personal items via shipping boxes. Or, maybe you have a relative from out of Saigon that want to send a box of things. Well, whatever your reason for sending goods to a foreign country, these facts might help as rules might be different from your home country.
What should I know about shipping goods into Vietnam?
Make sure the name listed on your passport is clearly written on all the packages – simply writing PBO or “packed by owner” on the shipping container is not enough in Vietnam. Also, all books, video games, computer software, compact discs and LPs should be packed separately by type and listed on the carton and packing list by type of media. These items will be inspected by the Ministry of Culture and can be rejected if deemed materially undesirable to the State. This could include a number of subjects, so a good tip is to look for anything that mentions or refers to Vietnam.
Antiques will need to be photographed and documented to show the age of the piece, the material it is made of and its origin. Antique pieces must be inspected and registered upon entry. If not registered, they can be restricted from being exported at a later date. Items that are restricted from entering the country entirely include weapons, ammunition, radio transmitters, narcotics, pornographic or subversive materials, satellite dishes and used motorbikes. Customs duties are applicable for the entire shipment according to the current Customs tariffs.
How can I send my goods internationally from Vietnam?
Mailing goods is quite simple but make sure you don’t seal your parcel before taking it to the post office, as you will be required to show its contents prior to having it weighed and priced, to ensure that the customs declaration matches those contents and of course to assess the customs fee. Local advice is to keep the description on the customs sticker as open as possible, for example: “no commercial value”, “for personal use”, etc. This will make your parcels less interesting for the post office workers.
What are other simple and cheap methods to send things inside Ho Chi Minh City?
If they prefer not to go to the post office, locals will use Vietnam Airlines’ express service or a train company. Sending packages by bus (Mai Linh or Phương Trang) is another method. This method is simple, cheap and convenient, and these services can be utilised to send money, goods, motorbikes or furniture.
What shipping companies are there in Ho Chi Minh City?
You can order a home pickup for your goods, in case you don’t want to go to the post office. Just call the office and leave a request.
6 Thang Long,Tan Binh; +84 28 8446 6203, Hotline: 1800 1530
Price: Upon request, as they change regularly.
Services: Shipping & tracking, parcel & packets, export/import, domestic services, printed materials, air, sea, inland.
Hotline:1900 6980; +84 28 7302 0247
Price: In the same city: VND7,300/50g; VND13,000/500g; VND16,000/1kg; Outside HCMC (from HCMC to Hanoi): HCMC to Hanoi: 50g-100g, VND12,500; HCMC to Da Nang: 50g-100g, VND12,500
Services: Shipping/tracking, parcel/packets, courier, transportation, customs clearance and commercial services. Basic English is spoken.
6 Thang Long, Tan Binh District; +84 28 3948 0370
Hotline: 1800 585835 (Toll Free line within Vietnam)
Price: VND1.052M/500g within 2-3 working days; VND1.9M/2kg including VAT and gasoline for FedEx to pick up the post from your home and mail it to the U.S.
FedEx provides fast and reliable delivery to every U.S. address and to more than 220 countries and territories around the world. It uses a global air and ground network to speed up the delivery of time-sensitive shipments, usually one to two business days is guaranteed.
39B Truong Son, Tan Binh District; +84 1800 1589
Price: Sending to the U.S.: VND1.6M/500g; VND2.5M/1kg; VND4.M/2kg.
TNT ensures that your parcels, documents and freight items are delivered safely and on time throughout the world and in over 200 countries.
UNIFREIGHT GLOBAL Logistics JSC
Tel: +84 28 354 725 72 / 73 / 74 / 75
Fax: +84 28 354 725 76
Price: Upon request, as they change daily.
Services: Shipping & tracking, parcels & packets, export services, import services, domestic services, printed materials, air, sea and inland. Basic English is spoken.
VNPOST Express (EMS)
36 Bis Ba Vi, Tan Binh District; Hotline: 1900 545433
Price: Sample prices for sending parcels within Vietnam: VND17,000/100g; VND49,000/1kg Sample prices for sending outside of Vietnam: VND900,000/500g; VND1.1M/1kg
EMS have domestic and international services (in 102 countries). Unfortunately, it is difficult to find an English speaking staff, so you should use their services with the help of a Vietnamese friend.
KERRY TTC EXPRESS
8th Floor, Pico Plaza, 20 Cong Hoa, Tan Binh District; +84 28 3811 2112
Hotline +84 1900 6663
Price: By express delivery:
››Less than 50g: VND8,000-12,200
››More than 2kg: VND1,700-10,700 for each additional 500g
Kerry TTC, formerly known as Tín Thành, is one of the companies that will deliver your goods inside Vietnam and overseas with the best rates.
What documents are required for customs check when a package arrives in Vietnam?
There are rules to follow when receiving a package in Vietnam and this means that you need to bring the necessary documents for shipment and the like.
The documents required for customs upon the arrival of your shipment in Vietnam include:
››Valid passport with visa pages: the original plus two copies
››Notarised copy of work permit, labour contract or business licence
››Bill of lading/Air waybill ››Customs declaration
››Authorisation letter. This will be prepared by your relocation agent and submitted to your employer for their company stamp.
The shipping inventory list must be written in English and have specific information about the items shipped. Be as detailed as possible with this list, as anything that is not declared can be rejected, impounded and/or shipped back.
- 0 Is it necessary to speak Vietnamese when doing business in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 How much do I have to pay for electricity in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What recruitment agencies are in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What are workplace culture and habits in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 How can you prove your experience of being a manager or executive officer in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 How do I reach the the French expat community in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 How do I reach American, Australian, Canadian and New Zealand expat communities in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 How do I reach the Dutch expat community in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What requirements do I need to have when buying or renting a motorbike in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 Can foreign-invested enterprises purchase residential real estate properties in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 How much do you pay for mobile phone service in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What should you know about motorbike insurance in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What are the pregnancy and maternity rights in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 How do I get a motorbike license in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 Where can I organise my wedding party in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What are the advantages of buying a motorbike in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What can you do with damaged VND bills in Ho Chi Minh city?
- 0 How do I reach the British expat community in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 How can I find a job in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What important details should be included in an employment contract in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What benefits are employees entitled to for working overtime in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What local and international banks are there in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 How do you transfer money out of Vietnam?
- 0 What agency can you use to obtain your visa or residence card in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What documents do you need to bring a pet from your home country to Vietnam?
- 0 What is the maximum required number of hours for an employee to work per week in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 Can foreigners receive bank loans in Ho chi Minh city?
- 0 Who can adopt a Vietnamese child?
- 0 What steps do you need to follow if you want to adopt a pet in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What are the maternity leave benefits for local and expat employees in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What are the steps to purchase a house if you're a foreigner living in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 Where can you find a post office in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What should I know about paying taxes in Ho chi Minh City?
- 0 How do I reach the German expat community in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 Do banks issue debit and credit cards to expats in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What is the validity of the work permit in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What about exemptions from work permit in Vietnam?
- 0 How can I widen my network in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What should I know if I'm a French citizen getting married in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What is the procedure for divorce in Vietnam?
- 0 What can I do if I find the marriage registration procedure too difficult in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What should I know if I want to volunteer for a charity or NGO in Ho Chi Minh CIty?
- 0 What are the types of common visa in Ho Chi Minh City and what do they mean?
- 0 Can expats open multi currency bank accounts in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What government agencies do I have to visit for a work permit in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What are Vietnam’s most important public holidays and when are they scheduled?
- 0 What are health insurance, social insurance and unemployment insurance contributions and how much do they cost in Ho chi Minh City?
- 0 What should you prepare for your staff for Tết holidays in Vietnam?
- 0 What are your rights as an employee in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 Where can I buy company signage in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What are the steps to take for marriage registration in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What do I need to apply for a criminal record certificate in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 Can a foreigner buy a house or land in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What are things to consider when doing business in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What are the limits of a foreigners’ rights on residential real estate properties in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 How can I reach fellow expats in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What document needs to be legalised for marriage registration in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What is the best way to pay for goods and services in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What documents are required for marriage registration between a Vietnamese person and a foreigner?
- 0 How do I reach the Japanese expat community in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What paperwork will you need to apply for a work permit in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What are the requirements to open a bank account in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 What should I consider when deciding on a wedding date in Vietnam?
- 0 Why are cars so expensive in Vietnam?
- 0 What addresses do I need to know for marriage registration in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 When should you ask your employer for a work permit when working in Vietnam?
- 0 How do I get insurance in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 How do I reach the Korean expat community in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 Where can you pay your Internet and TV bills in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 How do I import a car to Vietnam?
- 0 What are the ways to pay for your telephone bill in Ho Chi Minh City?
- 0 How can you get your own post office box in Ho chi Minh City and how much does it cost?
- 0 What time do businesses open in Ho chi Minh City?
- 0 What are the benefits of being member of a business chamber in Ho Chi Minh City?